Phylogenetic trees have changed the way we study and understand life on Earth. Taking phylogenetic information into account in our analyses is critical to account for the non-independence of biological data. Also, phylogenies allow us to get a deep-time perspective of the processes that have shaped the evolutionary history of groups, including diversification and trait evolution.
This course will introduce participants to the use, modification and representation of phylogenetic trees. Also, we will focus on the use of phylogenetic information to reconstruct ancestral characters and biogeographic histories, using different phylogenetic comparative methods.
This course will also tackle trait evolution modelling and the assessment of phylogenetic signal. Finally, we will learn about the shape of phylogenetic trees and its evolutionary causes, and how to estimate the rates of diversification throughout the history of groups. Participants are encouraged to bring their data sets to use in the practical classes.
The course includes an optional first introductory day to basic R.
Important note: Please bear in mind that this course is not about reconstructing (building) phylogenetic trees.
Software: Mesquite, FigTree, R (ape, TreeSim, TreePar, Geiger, OUwie, BioGeoBEARS).
Previous editions of this course
4th Edition, September 19th-23rd, 2016
- United Kingdom: Royal Botanic Gardens – Kew, Birkbeck – University of London, University of Bristol.
- Argentina: Universidad de Buenos Aires.
- Turkey: Middle East Technical University.
- Germany: Philipps-Universität Marburg.
- Estonia: University of Tartu.
- Italy: Università degli Studi di Milano, University of Turin.
3rd Edition, September 28th-October 2nd, 2015
- South Africa: University of South Africa.
- Mexico: National Autonomous University of Mexico.
- Spain: Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, University of Alcalá.
- Ireland: National University of Ireland – Galway.
- Estonia: University of Tartu.
- Denmark: Natural History Museum of Denmark – University of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen.
- Germany: Museum für Naturkunde – Berlin.
- Italy: Second University of Naples.
- United Kingdom: The James Hutton Institute, University of Nottingham, University of Bristol, National Museum of Scotland.
- United States of America: University of California Santa Cruz.
- Austria: University of Vienna.
- Brazil: Universidad Estatal Paulista “Júlio de Mesquita Filho” – Río Claro.
- Russia: Saint Petersburg State University.
2nd Edition, October 27th-31st, 2014
- Spain: Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont, Instituto Pirenaico de Ecología – CSIC.
- Belgium: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sweden: Lund University.
- Germany: Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research – Max Planck Society, Museum für Naturkunde – Berlin.
- Portugal: University of Aveiro.
- Argentina: University of Buenos Aires.
- Denmark: University of Copenhagen.
- United Kingdom: University of Leeds, University of Nottingham.
- Switzerland: University of Zurich.
1st Edition, September 9th-13th, 2013
- Spain: University of Cadiz.
- United States of America: Smithsonian Institution, Michigan State University.
- Colombia: Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
- Denmark: Natural History Museum of Denmark – University of Copenhagen.
- Australia: Australian National University, Australian Institute of Marine Science.
- Japan: RIKEN BioResource Center.
Former participants will have a 5 % discount on the Course Fee.
Unfortunately there are no scholarships available for this course. However a 20 % discount on the Course Fee is offered for members of some organizations (Organizations with discount). If you want to apply to this discount please indicate it in the Registration form (proof will be asked later).
Spanish unemployed scientists, as well as Spanish PhD students without any grant or scholarship to develop their PhD, could benefit from a 40 % discount on the Course Fee. If you want to ask for this discount, please contact the course coordinators. That would apply for a maximum of 2 places and they will be covered by strict inscription order.
Discounts are not cumulative and apply only on the fee, not to Accommodation Package or other options.