The goal of this course is to train students to create publication-quality graphics in R.
The course will emphasize the relationships between data structure and graphical elements so students can apply what they learn to other R package extensions not covered in the course. A mix of lectures and in-class exercises provide a thorough overview of two primary graphics packages in R: base and ggplot2.
In addition to plot customization basics (e.g., color, symbology), students will learn more advanced data visualization techniques (e.g., multiple axes, insets, transformations). The final day of the course is dedicated to guided practice; students may work with their own data or choose from our set of example projects.
- Customize code from base and ggplot2 packages
- Apply the “Grammar of Graphics” system underlying ggplot2
- Manage data structure with dplyr and tidyr to facilitate graphing
- Write functions to automate data preparation and generate graphics
- Transform default graphics into beautiful, customized, publication-quality graphics
- Monday to Friday:
- 9:30 to 13:30 Lessons.
- 13:30 to 15:00 Lunch (included).
- 15:00 to 18:00 Lessons.
Accommodation Package Schedule
- 19:00 Meeting point in Plaza Catalunya (Barcelona) to take the bus to Capellades. If you are planning to arrive later, you can find more information in How to get there.
- 20:00 Registration in the Hotel.
- 20:30 Dinner.
- Monday to Thursday:
- 8:00 to 9:00 Breakfast.
- 20:00 Dinner.
- 8:00 to 9:00 Breakfast.
- 18:30 Meeting point in the Hotel to take the bus to Barcelona city.
- 19:45 Arrival at Plaza Catalunya (Barcelona).
The schedule is approximate; it is possible that the content of one day may run into the next and a working day may be longer than advertised.
Former participants will have a 5 % discount on the Course Fee.
Furthermore, a 20 % discount on the Course Fee is offered for members of some organizations (Organizations with discount). If you want to apply to this discount please indicate it in the Registration form (proof will be asked later).
Spanish unemployed scientists, as well as Spanish PhD students without any grant or scholarship to develop their PhD, could benefit from a 40 % discount on the Course Fee. If you want to ask for this discount, please contact the course coordinators. That would apply for a maximum of 2 places and they will be covered by strict inscription order.
Discounts are not cumulative and apply only on the fee, not to Accommodation Package or other options.
Thanks to the donations of former participants, this year there are scholarships available for PhD students. The scholarships are in the form of tuition fee waivers only, they do not cover travelling and lodging.