Monday, December 2nd, 2019.
- Introduction to X-rays, X-ray radiography and tomography. Medical CT, microfocus and nanofocus CT, synchrotron CT.
- Imaging parameters for digital radiography: Acceleration voltage, beam current, target type, spot size, exposure time, frame stacking, detector resolution and dynamic range, magnification, shading correction, scattering and filtering.
- X-ray density and X-ray contrast. Use of contrasting agents (DiceCT). Practical preparation of soft-tissue samples.
Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019.
- Practical radiography, working on the instrument. Maximizing image quality for different sample types, including DiceCT. Student samples are welcome.
- Principles and practice of X-ray tomography. Rotations, voxels, volumes, reconstruction. Beam hardening. Visualization: Slicing, volume rendering. We start making CT scans.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019.
- Introduction to Avizo. Volume operations: Filtering (median, anisotropic Gaussian, non-local means).
- Transformations, merging, cropping, resampling. Volume file formats.
- Further visualization techniques: Colour maps, lighting, transparency, surface rendering, composite rendering.
- We continue making CT scans.